Imagine the following situation.
- Mr. Y, this week you have scored C in daily chores, B in parenting and B+ at Job.
- Mrs. X, this week you have scored B in daily chores, B+ in parenting and A at Job.
- Your best friend Mrs. Z is consistently scoring A+ in all her activities or your neighbor Mr. M has secured C in all the areas and needs improvement.
You are told this feedback every week in front of your 30+ friends and colleagues for 40 weeks a year.
Or another situation even more friendly.
- Mr. X, this week your performance as son in law is at 23’rd percentile.
- Mrs. Y, this week your performance stands at 89’Th percentile in the entire lot of daughter in laws.
Again the feedback is shared every week in front of your 30+ friends and colleagues for 40 weeks a year.
System is designed to achieve following goals:
- To test you regularly and provide you a feedback to help you improve.
- To make you confident and creative.
- To help you develop in various skills and make the foundation for future success..
There is just one last bit more to it.
It tells you only where you are weak or wrong and not why.
I know this is over the board and badly dramatized, but don’t you think system is broken and going against the very promises or fundamentals it is based on, boost confidence, help creativity and happiness, identify the talents and help them blossom?
At some age, some point in life it is required, rather it is must. But every week, 40 times a year from age 6+.
What does any parent get from a result like "Your Kid has scored C in Environmental Science":
- Does it mean your kid is weak in understanding concepts / thinking skills Or
- His or her memorizing skills are not good enough to recollect and write back answers.
- He or she is poor in language / vocabulary and so could not express / write.
- He or she is not finding subject interesting or was taught badly.
On reversing the situation to A+ grade, we still won't know what skills helped in achieving those grades and level of those skill sets.
In primary schools exams / tests should focus on identifying weakness in skills and not subjects. The focus should be to build a stronger skill sets for kids, and gain subject knowledge as they enter middle and high schools on strong foundations of developed skills.